Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Welcome to the Visa Unit!

June Closures

There will be no visa services at the U.S. Embassy Tokyo on the following day in June:
  • June 30 (Thu) No Visa Services
Important Information for All Visa Applicants

Due to a variety of factors, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates are unable to guarantee the issuance of a U.S. visa before a fixed travel date. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.

We are pleased that you are interested in traveling to the U.S.

The U.S. Embassy Tokyo processes applications for both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas, and our staff is dedicated to facilitating the travel of Japanese to the United States. The vast majority of Japanese traveling for business or tourism for less than 90 days do not require a visa, under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and approximately 3 million Japanese successfully travel to the United States every year visa-free. For more information regarding visa-free travel, please visit our web pages on the Visa Waiver Program.

If you do not qualify for the VWP or are traveling to study, work, or participate in an exchange program, you need to apply for a visa. Please read more about how to obtain a Nonimmigrant Visa.

Immigrant visas (sometimes known as "green cards") are for persons who plan to remain permanently in the United States. Anyone who wishes to enter the United States to reside there permanently must apply for an Immigrant Visa.

Thank you for visiting our website. We hope you will find it informative and helpful.

Visa Unit
U.S. Embassy Tokyo

Please also see our Customer Service Statement page.

Important Notice

  • Changes to the Visa Waiver Program

    The United States began implementing changes under the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 (the Act).

    For details on VWP requirement changes, please see Important Notice.

    For a list of Frequently Asked Questions, please see CBP's website.


  • If you are a citizen of a Visa Waiver Program partner and no longer eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program or have received notice that you are not eligible to travel to the United States under that program, you should apply for a non-immigrant visa at least three months in advance of your desired travel. If you do not have imminent travel plans, you should pay the non-immigrant visa application fee, fill out the DS-160 non-immigrant visa application form at , and schedule a visa appointment. If your travel is imminent, you may request an expedited visa appointment. Please include in your request the date and purpose of your travel, and the reason for your request, as well as a copy of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection message you received regarding your ESTA status, if you received one.



General Information:

Note: Embassies cannot check the status of an ESTA application, provide details about ESTA denials, or resolve issues caused by an ESTA denial. Check the CBP website!


  • The Department of State acknowledges the International Civil Aviation Authority Organization (ICAO) deadline, requiring all travelers have a machine readable passport by November 24, 2015. Please note that under U.S. law a machine readable passport is NOT required for visa issuing purposes. So long as an applicant presents a valid passport, a visa can placed in it.

Security Notice

  • The Embassy does NOT store prohibited items for visa applicants. There is no facility at the Embassy to store such items, so you must make arrangements to store these items elsewhere before you enter. If you arrive with a prohibited item, you will be turned away and asked to make a new appointment. For details, please see our Important Notices page.

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge


  • Department of Homeland Security

Fraud Notice / Warning

  • Department of State Warns of Impostor or Fraudulent Websites, Emails or Print Advertisements

    For more information on Fraud Notices and Warnings, visit

Discover America

  • Discover America Badge