Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
I-130 Petition Checklist

I-130 Petition Checklist


  • Petitioner=US Citizen
  • Alien Relative=Beneficiary/Visa Applicant


  • Please submit all Forms and Supporting Documents in the following order.
  • All Supporting Documents must be originals (bearing an original seal, stamp or signature of the office of record), plus one copy of each.
  • English translations of all foreign language documents are required. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

Print out this page and check the boxes pertaining to your I-130 immigrant petition.

Do not send anything to the Embassy or Consulate. Bring your documents to the interview. Before making an appointment, make sure you have all the necessary documents.

  I-130: This form is required in all cases. (Download form I-130) At the bottom of the first page of the I-130, please write an email address where we may reach you. You must file a separate Form I-130 for each applicant.
  Evidence of Active Duty Status (U.S. Military Orders):The petitioner must provide evidence of his/her current military status.
  Photograph: A 5cm x 5cm photo with a white background, taken within the last six months. The head (measured from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) should measure between 5 cm x 5cm (2.5”x 2.5”) with the head centered in the frame facing straight ahead. Please submit one photo of the petitioner and one for each beneficiary.
  Proof of U.S. Citizenship: An original birth certificate, original U.S. passport or original naturalization certificate are the only acceptable documents.
  Affidavit of Support: (Required only if applying in Tokyo) Form I-864 is a contractual affidavit of support. Most family-based visa applicants must submit an I-864 completed and signed by the petitioning relative (sponsor). Mistakes in completing the I-864 are the most common reason for refusing an immigrant visa application. Please read all instructions carefully before filling out the I-864.
  Photo ID : Please submit a copy of a U.S. passport, a U.S. military ID card or other photo identification for petitioner.
  Birth Certificate: Please provide an original birth certificate for the beneficiary. For Japanese applicants born in Japan, a family registry serves as a birth certificate. Note: For any birth certificate registered more than 6 months after the date of birth, please provide a written statement explaining why the birth was registered late and 2 alternate forms of original, secondary evidence of identity. Secondary evidence of identity normally means original documents dating from the time of your birth and childhood, such as prenatal records, doctor's notes and baby book, baptismal certificates issued on the date the baptism took place, school records/report cards registered or signed by the parents, or pieces of government-issued identification (SS card, driver's license, etc.).
  Copy of Beneficiary's Passport: Please provide a copy of the picture ID page, U.S. visas, other foreign visas and SOFA stamp, if any. If the beneficiary is non-Japanese, please also provide all previous passports for the beneficiary.
  Biographic Information Form: The petitioner and the beneficiary should both separately complete form G-325. (Download form G-325.)
  Submission Fee: The US$420 Submission fee can be paid at the consular cashier. Payment is accepted in yen or U.S. dollars. You may also pay by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Diner's Club) or by money order payable to "U.S. Embassy, Tokyo".

If the petition is for a spouse or a child, you must also include:

  Marriage Certificate: Please provide an original marriage certificate from the jurisdiction where the marriage took place. If the marriage occurred in Japan, please submit a copy of the family registry.
  Divorce Decree or Death Certificate: Original divorce decrees or death certificates, or certified court copies of the certificates, showing termination of all prior marriages of petitioner and/or beneficiary are acceptable.
  Proof of Relationship: If you have been married less than two years, please provide a statement of how you met and evidence of your on-going relationship.
  Birth Certificate for Beneficiary's Children: Please provide an original birth certificate or consular report of birth for beneficiary's children.

Appointments can only be booked for up to three months in advance.

Schedule an I-130 Appointment in Tokyo.

To schedule an I-130 Appointment in Naha, a petitioner may send an appointment request to with the following information.

  1. Full legal name of Petitioner
  2. Full date of birth of Petitioner
  3. Full legal name of Beneficiary
  4. Full date of birth of Beneficiary
  5. Nationality of Beneficiary
  6. Proof of eligibility for blanket exception (e.g. scanned copy of PSC orders to Japan)
  7. Projected departure date to the US