Warden Messages and ACS Newsletters
Warden Message - Tsunami Alerts Still in Effect
March 12, 2011 02:15
This third warden message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Japan that multiple tsunami alerts issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency are still in effect covering regions in Mainland Japan and the Amami islands, as a result of a magnitude 8.9 earthquake that struck off the Northeast coast of Japan on March 11 at 2:46 pm. See the end of this message for a list of affected areas.
For those who are in Japan and wish to inform of us of your condition, please send an e-mail to JapanEmergencyUSC@state.gov
In your e-mail please provide the information requested below. Please also in your e-mail please state that we may your release information to people who may contact us regarding your welfare.
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- As much information as possible regarding your physical location (address, hotel name, etc.) and contact information (home phone, cell phone, email address, etc.) within Japan.
- Please also send us any other information you feel is important for us to know, such as any pre-existing medical conditions, or whether you or your loved one is either elderly or a child in Japan without his/her parent(s).
The Department of Defense instructs that family members of Department of Defense personnel may contact 1-800-342-9647 for more specific information.
While we understand that there have been disruptions in communications in Japan, including the interruption of internet and mobile telephone service, we encourage you to continue your efforts to be in contact with your loved one(s) using SMS texting and other social media (e.g., FaceBook, My Space, Twitter, etc) that your loved one(s) may use. Please also try to contact your loved one(s) via landline telephone, as that means of communication has not been affected by communication disruptions. If you are able to be in touch with your loved one(s), please do write back to us and let us know.
We have been told that there are limited flights departing from Narita and Haneda airports. If you trying to fly out from Japan, please contact your airline to see if your flight is scheduled to depart.
The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo will continue to monitor tsunami warnings track and will issue updated messages as appropriate. Please monitor the tsunamis track by listening to the radio or watching television. Locate shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Carry your travel documents at all times (i.e. U.S. Passport, Birth Certificate, picture IDs, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. You should also contact friends and family in the United States with updates about your whereabouts.
Please continue to monitor the Embassy's website for updated information. For inquiries, please send an email to JapanEmergencyUSC@state.gov. For telephone inquiries, please call 202-501-4444 or 1-888-407-4747. Please consult the Country Specific Information Sheet for Japan, available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
This Google Crisis Response website is a good clearing house of updated information, some information is in Japanese.
The Japan Meteorological Agency has issued a tsunami warning for the entire pacific coast of Japan. As of 22:53pm Japan time, the list of affected prefectures follows. Real time updates can be found at the JMA website or at www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/.
- IWATE PREF.
- MIYAGI PREF.
- FUKUSHIMA PREF.
- CENTRAL PART OF PACIFIC COAST OF HOKKAIDO
- PACIFIC COAST OF AOMORI PREF.
- IBARAKI PREF.
- KUJUKURI AND SOTOBO AREA, CHIBA PREF.
- IZU ISLANDS
- EASTERN PART OF PACIFIC COAST OF HOKKAIDO
- WESTERN PART OF PACIFIC COAST OF HOKKAIDO
- JAPAN SEA COAST OF AOMORI PREF.
- UCHIBO AREA, CHIBA PREF.
- OGASAWARA ISLANDS
- SAGAMI BAY AND MIURA PENINSULA
- SHIZUOKA PREF.
- WAKAYAMA PREF.
- TOKUSHIMA PREF.
- KOCHI PREF.
- PACIFIC COAST OF AICHI PREF.
- SOUTHERN PART OF MIE PREF.
- MIYAZAKI PREF.
- TANEGASHIMA AND YAKUSHIMA AREA
- AMAMI ISLANDS AND TOKARA ISLANDS
- SOUTHERN PART OF JAPAN SEA COAST OF HOKKAIDO
- MUTSU BAY
- TOKYO BAY
- ISE BAY AND MIKAWA BAY
- SOUTHERN PART OF AWAJI ISLAND
- BUNGO STRAIT COAST OF EHIME PREF.
- SETONAIKAI COAST OF OITA PREF.
- BUNGO STRAIT COAST OF OITA PREF.
- EASTERN PART OF KAGOSHIMA PREF.
- WESTERN PART OF KAGOSHIMA PREF.
- OKINAWA ISLANDS
- DAITOJIMA AREA
- MIYAKOJIMA AND YAEYAMA AREA
- ARIAKE SEA AND YATSUSHIRO SEA
- WESTERN PART OF NAGASAKI PREF.
- AMAKUSA NADA COAST OF KUMAMOTO PREF.
- OKHOTSK SEA COAST OF HOKKAIDO
- OSAKA PREF.
- SETONAIKAI COAST OF HYOGO PREF.
- OKAYAMA PREF.
- KAGAWA PREF.
- SETONAIKAI COAST OF EHIME PREF.
- AKITA PREF.
- YAMAGATA PREF.
- NIIGATA PREF.,EXCEPT SADOGASHIMA ISLAND
- SADOGASHIMA ISLAND
- TOYAMA PREF.
- NOTO AREA, ISHIKAWA PREF.
- HIROSHIMA PREF.
- SETONAIKAI COAST OF YAMAGUCHI PREF.
- SETONAIKAI COAST OF FUKUOKA PREF.
- NORTHERN PART OF JAPAN SEA COAST OF HOKKAIDO
- JAPAN SEA COAST OF FUKUOKA PREF.
- NORTHERN PART OF SAGA PREF.
- IKI ISLAND AND TSUSHIMA ISLANDS
About Tsunami Forecasts: A Major Tsunami is expected to be 3 meters or more. Keep careful watch on tsunamis.