American Citizen Services
Victims of Crime
If an American is a victim of crime in Japan, he or she should contact the police in their local area. Everywhere in Japan, the Police Emergency Number is: 110. Fire and ambulance services can be summoned by dialing 119. These numbers may not work from cell phones, however, and English-speaking dispatchers may not be available. Advice on how to call for an ambulance in Japan is available on our Calling for Help page. Also, you may want to print the brochure "Making the Most of the Ambulance Service" (PDF - 1004.19 kb) issued by the Japanese Fire and Disaster Management Agency.
Persons seeking assistance should be able to describe their address/location in Japanese or enlist a friend who can do so, as few police officers speak English. In such situations, Americans may also need to contact a doctor and/or a lawyer. Please see our list of Medical Facilities and doctors, dentists and hospitals known to treat foreigners. Please also see our list of English Speaking Attorneys in your area.
U.S. Department of State travel website
- Help for American victims of crime overseas: U.S. State Department travel website on help for American victims of crime overseas
- Crime and victims of crime in Japan: U.S. State Department flyer on help for American victims of crime in Japan (PDF - 60 kb)
State-specific victim compensation information
If you are the victim of a crime while overseas you may benefit from specialized resources for crime victims available in the U.S. All states operate crime victim compensation programs and nearly half of them offer benefits to their residents who are victims of violent crime overseas. Information about each state’s crime victim compensation program and how to apply for compensation is available on the internet at the website of the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards.
Resources in Japan for victims of crime
- vaonline.org (Choose Japan in the country listings)
- Japanese Victim Support Program by Ministry of Justice
- Handbook in English on Japanese police support for victims of crime (PDF - 830kb)
- Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Resources in Tokyo for Victims of Crime
- Resources in Okinawa for Victims of Crime
Resources in Tokyo for Victims of Crime
- Tokyo English-speaking Police
- Tokyo Metropolitan Police Crime Victims Hotline
Hours: 8-30-17:15, Mon-Fri
- Tokyo Rape Crisis Center
Hours: Wed 18:00-21:00; Sat 15:00-18:00 (Japanese-speaking counselors; English-speaking counselor sometimes available. Answering machines are available for other hours.)
- Tokyo English Life Line (TELL)
Life Line: 03-5774-0992
Hours: 9:00-23:00, daily. Free, anonymous telephone counseling.
- Sources of Help
Resources in Okinawa for Victims of Crime
- Okinawa Women’s Center TIRURU
Tiruru is a counseling service to assist women in need. The service is available 10:00 – 17:00, Tuesday through Saturday. If needed, Tiruru can also meet with individuals face-to-face.
- Okinawa Prefecture Women’s Consulting Office (Spousal Violence Counseling and Support Center)
- Okinawa Prefecture Police Headquarters
- Okinawa Sexual Assault Victims Consultation
- Rape Emergency Intervention Counseling Okinawa (REICO)
- Okinawa Crime Victims Support Center “Yui”
098-866-7830 Monday-Friday 10:00-16:00
- Naha Women’s Center: Dial “Unai”
- Hokubu Welfare and Health Office (Nago City)
- Miyako Welfare and Health Office
- Yaeyama Welfare and Health Office
- Naha District Legal Affairs Bureau
Women’s Rights Hot Line
- Naha District Office, Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau of Japan
- Kadena District Office, Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau of Japan
- Okinawa Prefecture
Exchange Promotion Division, Department of Tourism, Commerce and Industry
Legal Assistance in Okinawa
- Houterasu Okinawa
0503383-5533 Monday-Friday 9:00-17:00
- Attorneys in Naha/Okinawa Area
The list of attorneys is available on our website.
- Naha District Legal Affairs Bureau
Human Rights Protection Office addresses human rights issues in international marriages, divorces, and cases involving foreign nationals. Civil Registration Office handles nationality, civil registration and naturalization matters.
- To view PDF files, you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat. Get a free download from the Adobe website.