Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Passport Renewals

Even if your passport is expired, if you have a passport, the process is "Renewal" of a passport. The regular processing time is about 3 to 4 weeks.


By mail (for adults age 16 and older)


Your passport may be renewed by mail if:

  • You are currently in Japan and have a mailing address in Japan
  • Your most recent full validity passport was issued within the last 15 years and when you were age 16 or over
  • The passport you are submitting is not damaged

If all of these requirements are met, you may mail your application package to the Consular office in your district.


  • Although passport application forms instruct you to send application to the National Passport Processing Center in Philadelphia, do not send your application package to the U.S.  Please mail your package to the Consular office in your district.
  • Please note that Expedited Services and Overnight Delivery are not available to applicants residing outside of the U.S., so do not include the fee in your money order.

Please put the following items 1-5 in an envelope and mail them to us:

  1. Current or expired passport
  2. Signed and completed form DS-82 (Fees and instructions provided on this form are for domestic use. See below link for application fees in Japan.)
  3. Provide one passport photo (white background / 2"×2" in size)
  4. One self-addressed "Japan Post 510yen LetterPack PLUS envelope" (You can fold it in half to fit it in your package.)
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, one self-addressed envelope
  5. Postal money order ($110 for passport book - there is no expedite service)
    *For details on “How to Get an International Postal Money Order” please click here.

Where to send your package: Consular office in your district.

Adults (age 16 and older) application in person

  • Submit current or expired passport
  • If the most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years and when you were age 16 or over, completed form DS-82 online and print out. Otherwise, completed form DS-11 online and print out.  
  • Present one valid proof of ID 
  • Provide one passport photo (white background / 2"×2" in size)
  • If your passport was issued more than 15 year ago, you need to bring another proof of citizenship in addition to your passport. If you are a dual citizen, your koseki tohon will suffice.
  • Bring one self-addressed "Japan Post 510 yen LetterPack PLUS envelope"
    For persons using an APO/FPO address, bring one self-addressed envelope

See also: Passport Fees

Children under 16

See also: Passport Fees

Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child.

If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the passport application must be accompanied by a signed and notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the parent/guardian who is not present at the time of application.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Photocopies or scanned copies of a notarized consent form are not acceptable. Additionally, the notarized consent from must be less than three months old. Until the child reaches age 16, a new consent form will be required each time the child applies for a new passport.

If the child has only one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the child must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

  • Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent (Koseki Tohon showing the death of the non-applying parent)

In the unlikely event that one parent/guardian is absent and cannot be located, or if both parents/guardians are unavailable due to special/exigent circumstances, please see the information on “Parental Consent” at the bottom of the page.  


For renewing your Emergency passport, please see here.


Contact American Citizen Services

Fast & Convenient Mail-in Service

Save time! If you have a 10-year passport, you may be eligible to renew your passport by mail.

• Click here for details.


Contact American Citizen Services

Make an Appointment!

Appointments are required for Passport / Notarial / Report of Birth Services.

CLICK HERE to make an appointment.


Application Form Instructions

Application Form Instructions

For instructions on how to complete the online application form

• Click here


Contact American Citizen Services

Have a Question?

If you have questions regarding Passports / Notarials / Reports of Birth

• Check here for our FAQs.


Contact American Citizen Services

Visitor Security Information

Prohibited Items and Entry Regulations:

  • No cell phones
  • No electronics
  • No portable game devices
  • No iPads and/or laptops
  • No smart watches or other wearable devices
  • More restricted items here

Failure to follow these security requirements may cause delay or cancellation of your visit.