Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
American Citizen Services

Frequently Asked Questions - Your Baby's Passport, Report of Birth and Social Security Number

Here are some common questions we are asked in connection with applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.

Does my child really have to come in to see you?

Yes. Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our offices at the time you make the application. Military children will appear before the designated passport agent on base. There are no exceptions or waivers possible for this requirement.

Is my Child a Dual National? Which Passport Does She Use?

Does your child have one Japanese parent? Follow this link for information on dual nationality?

Does My Newborn Need a Japanese Visa?

The final decision on any matter involving Japanese visas and/or Japanese nationality rests with the Japanese Government. However, here is some general information to get you started.

If your child has one Japanese parent and one American parent, the child likely is a dual national (U.S. and Japanese Citizen). As a Japanese citizen, s/he does not need a visa for Japan. Follow this link for more information on dual nationality .

If one or more parents is in SOFA-status, check with your base legal advisor or personnel officer for details.

If both parents are non-Japanese (say, American father, Chinese mother), and your child will stay in Japan over 60 days from birth, the child will need a Japanese visa.

If the child will depart Japan permanently before 60 days after birth, the child will not need a Japanese visa.

If your child needs a Japanese visa, local law requires that you apply for that visa at the nearest Japanese immigration office within 30 days of the child's birth. To avoid any penalties, you must apply within 30 days of the child's birth whether you have her U.S. passport or not. Please contact the nearest Japanese immigration office for more information. You cannot obtain a Japanese visa at the American Embassy and we cannot advise you of the application requirements for a Japanese visa.

Can I Do This While in the U.S.?

If your child was born abroad you will need to complete the Report of Birth process abroad; it can't be done in the U.S.

If your child was born in Japan then the processing must be done in Japan. While you can file the documents at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, that office is required to send them to us in Japan for processing. This will delay things, so it is best to complete this whole procedure while you are still in Japan.

How Do I Get Additional Copies of the Report of Birth

Additional copies of the Report of Birth are available from the Department of State only; no records are kept at the Embassy in Tokyo.

You can get the details here on obtaining copies of your child's Report of Birth.

What About Having a Baby in Japan?

One resource you may wish to look into is "From Pregnancy to Childcare: How to Prepare for Childcare in Japan," available as a video (Y3000; 30 minutes, available in Japanese, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese) or in text form (Y1500; English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese versions available, 50 pages including Japanese translation) from the AMDA International Medical Information Center.

See AMDA's website for more details, or call AMDA International Medical Information Center Tokyo at 03-5285-8088 or AMDA International Medical Information Center Kansai at 06-4395-0555.